Kolhapuri Khanda Lasun Masala Spice Mix Recipe is a spice mix from Pune that has been around for a long time. Like the Goda Masala, this spice mix is an important part of most households in Pune and Maharashtra. The masala is hard to make, but we tried to make it easier while keeping the same flavour as an authentic Khanda Masala Mix. About 500 grams of the masala mix will be made. You can keep it for about a month in a container that keeps air out.
To make a tasty snack, serve the kolhapuri Khanda Lasun Masala Spice Mix in Bhadang Recipe (Puffed Rice Snack Mix).
How to make Khanda Lasun Masala at home?
Dry Red Chilli- 200 grams
Byadagi Dried Chillies- 100 grams
Dry coconut grated- 75 grams
Sliced Onions- 4
Chopped Ginger- 2 inch
Chopped Garlic - 10 cloves
Salt- 1 tablespoon
Spices that should be roasted
1 teaspoon of Dhania (Coriander) Seeds
1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
1 tablespoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
2 tablespoons of cumin seeds (Jeera)
3 leaves of bay (tej patta)
Spics that should be fried
1 tablespoon of black peppercorns that are whole
10 Cloves (Laung)
5 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
2 Star anise
3 Flower stone
1 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
Steps to prepare Khanda Lasun Masala
- To start making Khanda Lasun Masala, heat a sauce pan and dry roast the spices like, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, and bay leaves until they are light brown. You will get a pleasant smell. They should be roasted for about 10 minutes and set aside.
- Add a little oil and roast the other spices, such as peppercorns, cloves, broken cardamom pods, star anise, lichen, and hing. For about 5 minutes, roast them until they smell good. Keep it aside.
- Add more oil to the same pan and then sauté the onions until they turn brown. Once it's done, take out the onions and add grated coconut, which you'll toast until it turns brown. Keep it aside.
- Add the dry red chilies and roast them with the other ingredients until they get crispy. Once it's done, put all of the roasted spices and ingredients, as well as ginger, garlic, and salt, into a blender. Make it into a rough powder and put the spice away for later.
- To make a tasty snack, serve the kolhapuri Khanda Lasun Masala Spice Mix in Bhadang Recipe (Puffed Rice Snack Mix).