Shallaki, a superfood with potent anti-inflammatory qualities, is a godsend for people with chronic bone diseases including osteoarthritis, osteopenia, osteomyelitis, etc.
The ancient Ayurvedic herb shallaki is widely recognised for its many medicinal benefits. Shallaki, also known as Boswellia serrata in botanical terminology, is a member of the Burseraceae family and is an oleo gum resin that is extracted from the tree's huge branches and is widely used to treat a variety of bone-related disorders.
Shallaki oil, which has analgesic properties, can be used gently on the affected areas combined with coconut oil, according to Ayurveda, providing relief from joint discomfort. Due to its ability to heal wounds more quickly, it can be applied topically. The skin can be massaged using a paste made with Shallaki powder, water, and other ingredients to reduce signs of ageing.
About Shallaki plant:
The tropical plant shallaki belongs to the family Burseraceae. Both trees and bushes are flowering flora of a respectable size. The plant produces aromatic resin, which is combined to create frankincense. The herb boswellia is widely used in conventional medicine and is fundamental to ayurveda treatment.
Traditional use of Shallaki:
In Ayurvedic and Unani medicine, the gum resin of Shallaki acts as a shortening agent and is a key ingredient in incense powder and sticks. Shallaki is revered in India on a par with Tulasi, Neem, and Amla as a sacred plant. Its anti-inflammatory effects, which offer immediate relief from joint stiffness and swelling, are what make it such a popular therapeutic herb.
Health benefits of Shallaki:
- Improves Liver Health: The thick extract of Shallaki contains a high concentration of hypolipidemic activity, which is essential for reducing total cholesterol and raising levels of high-density lipoprotein, or HDL, cholesterol (good cholesterol). As advised by your Ayurvedic doctor, frequent consumption of Shallaki, which is rich in hepatoprotective enzymes, maintains the liver's health and digestion.
- Maintains Gut Health: Shallaki offers immediate treatment from the signs and symptoms of gastrointestinal conditions like Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and ulcerative colitis. According to Ayurveda, digestive problems are brought on by unbalances in Pachak Agni, the digestive fire. Shallaki assists in resolving those problems by modifying the cold or Sita characteristics. Constipation and rectal bleeding are treated with Shallaki on a regular basis.
- Relieves Arthritis: According to Ayurveda, Amavata is the cause of rheumatoid arthritis and other bone problems. Ama, the toxic byproduct of improper digestion and Vata dosha, builds up significantly in the body and causes Amavata. In Ama sufferers, the harmful substances build up in the joints. Shallaki's Vata-balancing qualities help to lower Ama and the swelling in the joints. Apply topically to the affected joints a mixture of Shallaki powder and coconut oil for immediate relief.
- Prevents Asthma Attacks: Asthma is a chronic respiratory condition, and those who have it are more susceptible to abrupt attacks that make it difficult for them to breathe. The Vata and Kapha doshas, which severely restrict the airways, are the primary causes of asthma. If asthma is not adequately managed, it can cause trouble breathing, shortness of breath, and other serious inconveniences. Shallaki, which can be used as tablets, capsules, or inhaled, relieves chest congestion and offers immediate relief.
- Shallaki is widely recommended for preserving heart health because it enhances cardiac function. The cardiovascular, anti-inflammatory, and hemostatic components improve heart health, circulate oxygen-rich blood, and guard against anticoagulation.
- Reduces Wrinkles: Shallaki is applied topically and works to hydrate dry skin from the inside out while reducing the appearance of wrinkles. It brings back the skin's natural moisturization. Shallaki and water can be combined to create a paste. It should be applied evenly to the face, then left to dry. For a quick glow, wash it in warm water.