Traditional Chana Masala
Preparation time 1:10 Hour
Cooking time 25 Minutes
Chana - 200 gms
Ginger - 1 knot
Chilli - 4-5
Tomato - 2
Tomato Puree - 1/4 cup
Onion - 2
Red chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
Channa Masala - 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tbsp
Butter - 3 tbsp
Tea bags - 4-5
1) Wash and soak the chana for at least 4 hours or overnight .
2) Pressure cook the chana in a Meyer pressure cooker for an hour along with the tea bags, till they are fully cooked through and soft.
3) In a separate Select saute pan, heat a spoon of ghee.
4) To the pan, add ginger juliennes, fine chopped garlic and saute.
5) Make a fine paste of the onions and add it to the pan
6) Saute the onion paste till it becomes light brown and the excess water is evaporated.
7) Quarter the tomatoes and chuck them into the pan.
8) Slowly cook the tomatoes till they are cooked through and become soft.
9) Next, go in all the powdered spices and the seasoning and a nice robust masala should be on hand.
10) Pour in the boiled channa that are black in colour because of the tea bags and discard the tea bags.
11) Cook for another 10 minutes till everything is combined and comes together.
12) Finish with a dollop of butter and serve hot.