An iron dosa tawa with a handle is a special kind of pan for making dosas. It is made of cast iron, which is known for its exceptional heat retention and distribution. With a handle, the tawa is easier to lift, handle, and move around while it is being used to cook.
Key features of an iron dosa tawa with a handle:
- Material: Dosas can be cooked to the same consistency every time because cast iron, the material from which it is made, ensures excellent heat distribution and retention.
- Flat Surface: The tawa has a flat and wide cooking surface, ideal for spreading and cooking dosa batter evenly.
- Seasoning: A cast-iron tawa with a handle or with has to be seasoned before using it. This makes the surface naturally non-stick. For seasoning, you can coat the tawa with any vegetable oil and heat it until the oil polymerizes into a layer that doesn't stick.
- Handle: The dosa tawa comes with a handle attached to one side, providing a secure grip and making it easier to lift and flip the tawa during cooking.
- Size: Iron dosa tawas are available in various sizes, allowing you to choose one that suits your cooking needs and the size of dosas you prefer.
- Versatility: While primarily used for making dosas, cast iron tawas can also be used to cook other flatbreads, such as uttapam and parathas.
- Durability: When cared for properly, a cast iron tawa with handle can last for generations.
Using an iron dosa tawa with a handle provides the advantage of excellent heat distribution
and the ability to create a natural non-stick surface through seasoning. The handle makes it easier to control the tawa while cooking dosas, allowing you to achieve perfectly cooked and crispy dosas with ease.
It's important to remember that a cast iron tawa with handle needs to be seasoned and cared for properly so that it lasts long and doesn't stick. If you take good care of your iron dosa tawa, it can be a useful piece of cookware for many years and help you make wonderful, authentic dosas.
Benefits of iron dosa tawa with handle
An iron dosa tawa with handle offers several benefits that make it a popular and practical cookware item for making dosas and other flatbreads. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Excellent Heat Distribution: Iron dosa tawas with handle are generally known for their exceptional heat distribution properties. They evenly distribute heat across the cooking surface, ensuring that the dosas cook uniformly and consistently.
- Retains Heat: Cast iron has high heat retention capabilities, meaning the tawa stays hot for an extended period. This is especially advantageous when making multiple dosas in succession without losing heat.
- Natural Non-Stick Surface: With the right seasoning, cast iron tawa with handle gets a surface that doesn't stick to food. The seasoned layer makes the top of the dosa smooth and slippery, so less oil or ghee is needed to cook it. This makes dosas healthy.
- Versatility: While primarily used for making dosas, an iron tawa with a handle can also be used to cook other flatbreads like uttapam, parathas, and pancakes.
- Smoky Flavor: Cooking dosas on a seasoned cast iron tawa imparts a unique smoky flavor to the dosas, adding to their taste and authenticity.
- Comfortable Handling: The handle attached to the tawa provides a secure grip and makes it easier to lift and maneuver the tawa during cooking. This ensures better control while spreading the dosa batter and flipping the dosas.
- Even Cooking: The combination of even heat distribution and heat retention in cast iron tawas ensures that dosas cook evenly and do not have hotspots or undercooked areas.
- Traditional Appeal: Using an iron dosa tawa with a handle adds a traditional touch to the cooking process. It connects with the rich culinary heritage and cultural significance of making dosas in Indian households.
- No Harmful Chemicals: Iron dosa tawas are made from natural materials without any harmful chemical coatings, making them a safe and eco-friendly option for cooking.
Importance of Handle In An Iron Dosa Tawa:
- Comfort and Convenience: For larger-sized cast iron tawas, having a handle can provide added comfort and convenience while cooking. The handle allows for a secure grip, making it easier to lift and move the heavier tawa.
- Flipping Dosas: Handles on cast iron tawas can be especially helpful when flipping dosas. The handle allows you to hold and tilt the tawa with one hand while using a spatula with the other hand, making the flipping process more manageable.
- Storage: Handles on cast iron tawas can serve as a practical way to hang and store the tawa when not in use, especially if you have limited storage space in your kitchen.
- Traditional Design: Some cast iron tawas come with a handle as part of their traditional design. This handle adds to the authentic and traditional appeal of the cookware.