Green cardamom is an aromatic spice that can be used in a lot of different ways. It has underground stems with leafy roots, big white or pale green leaves, pale green fruits, and black seeds. The spice has a strong smell and taste that stays with it for a long time.
Green cardamom is a fragrant spice that can be used in a lot of different ways. The plant has underground stems with leafy roots, big white or pale green leaves, pale green fruits, and black seeds. The spice has a strong smell and taste that stays with it for a long time. Not only is the whole pod used as a flavouring, but also the powdered black seeds and the skin.
The seeds of cardamom have an essential oil that is made up of phytochemicals like alpha-terpineol 45%, myrcene 27%, limonene 8%, and menthone 6%. These phytochemicals give this herb medicinal properties and a sweet smell. Ayurvedic medicine says that cardamom seeds affect all three doshas.
What is Cardamom?
Cardamom is a plant that is used to make traditional medicines and is also used as a popular spice in cooking and to make tea. It has a distinct spicy flavour that stands out even when mixed with a lot of other things. Indian curries and chai masala tea both use cardamom as a main spice. This shouldn't be a surprise, since this spice comes from India. But now, it is also growing in other places. Cardamom, ginger, and turmeric all come from the same plant family, called Zingiberaceae.
What is green cardamom?
Green cardamom, also known as Elettaria cardamomum, is sometimes called the "real" cardamom. It is used to make tea blends and to cook. Small green pods with seeds grow on it. Green cardamom has a unique taste that is spicy and a little bit sweet.
It can be used as:
- Dried cardamom pods with seeds
- cardamom seeds without pods that have been removed
- fine powder
- cardamom essential oil
Uses of green cardamom:
If you add the skin to tea leaves or coffee grounds, it can give them a unique flavour. It is also an important ingredient in both garam masala and curry powder. Green cardamom is used to make things with betel leaves.
Its smell goes into dishes like pulao, curries, biryanis, kebabs, and other hot foods. With its unique taste, it also makes sweet dishes like kheer, phirni, flans, porridge, and halwa taste better.
Green cardamom tea:
Crushed cardamom seeds are boiled in water, sometimes with tea leaves. This makes cardamom tea. The bioactive parts of these seeds get into the water, which makes this infusion very good for your health.
- In a pot or teapot, bring the water to a boil.
- While the water boils, take the seeds out of the cardamom pods and peel the pods.
- Use a grinder to make a fine powder, or use a mortar and pestle to make a coarse powder.
- Add this powder to the water that is boiling.
- Turn down the heat and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and let it sit for a minute or two.
- Pour the strained mixture into a teacup.
- Add honey or another sweetener you like.
- Relax and have fun!
Caffeine content of green cardamom:
Pure cardamom tea is a herbal tea that doesn't contain caffeine, so you can drink it at any time of day or night. But when real tea leaves, like green or black tea, are added, it will always have caffeine. The amount of caffeine in tea will depend on the kind of tea and how it is made. Cardamom green tea will have 20–6 mg of caffeine per cup.
Health benefits of cardamom:
Cardamom is not only unique to India but also to the way we taste and smell. Adding this fragrant spice to your tea, food, and dining experience as a whole can make them all taste better. Cardamom is a spice that can be used in many different ways. It is used in curries, breads, rice, and liquids. It also has many health benefits.
- Digestive problems: Cardamom is a great way to treat and prevent digestive problems. Besides this, it is also good for the health of your digestive system. Even though cardamom is a spice, it has cooling effects that can help with acidity. Cardamom can also help with stomach problems such as indigestion, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and spasms.
- Bad breath: Cardamom antibacterial properties help get rid of bad breath by killing the bacteria that cause it.
- Depression: Because cardamom has a strong smell, it can help people who are going through mental stress, depression, or any other mental health problem. The best way to use cardamom is to boil it in water or just add it to your tea.
- It makes you cough. Cardamom is a miracle spice for people with asthma and bronchitis. This is because cardamom thins the blood, which helps the blood flow better in the lungs.
- Sexual dysfunction: Cardamom can also be used to treat sexual problems like impotence and ejaculation before it's time. Cardamom mixed with milk and honey is great for your sexual life.
- Other benefits: Since cardamom is a spice with many uses, it is great for people with a slow metabolism or bad memory. It also helps your body get rid of toxins and is great for stomach cramps during your period that seem impossible to bear.