Ready in just 15 minutes, this is an easy, breezy and extremely healthy recipe. It's soft, cheesy and tasty making it a sure hit among kids. Prepare this as a replacement for a vegetarian snack or just as an addition to your menu.
Beetroot and sesame tikki is an Indian vegetarian snack that has gained popularity in recent years owing to its radiant appearance and numerous health benefits. These kebabs were first invented to mimic the vegetarian version of the galawati kebab. Beetroot kebab is soft in texture, relatively healthier and has many variations. Some have sesame seeds coated all over and many have cheese stuffed into them.
1) In a non-stick frypan, melt some ghee and saute some cumin seeds, chopped ginger and green chillies. Add grated beetroots and a boiled mashed potato to the pan.
2) Mix them all together till a cohesive mass is formed. Add some refined flour and season with some salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala to this and mix it all together.
3) In a separate bowl, add grated mozzarella cheese, chopped onions and peri peri spice, mix them together and set aside.
4) Take a portion of the beetroot mix, flatten it out using your hands, stuff it with the cheese and onion filling and carefully seal the top to form a tikki.
5) Press the folded tikkis into some sesame seeds. Heat a non-stick tawa and drizzle some oil over it. Grill the tikkis on both sides for 3-4 minutes so that the sesame seeds turn golden brown and the cheese is melted.
6) Serve them hot on a platter with your favourite chutney.
Make sure to properly saute and cook the cumin seeds, chilli and ginger before adding the grated beetroot.
The cornflour is necessary for binding, do not skip it.
Make sure to seal the tiki properly or the cheese would leak out.