Dragon fruit comes from a cactus and has a lot of health benefits, like lowering the risk of a blood sugar spike and helping with digestion, among other things. The name of this fruit comes from the fact that it looks like a dragon. It is also called Pitaya or Pitahaya in Hindi.
What is dragon fruit?
It is a tropical fruit that looks different, feels crunchy, and tastes sweet. Its name comes from the way it looks, like a dragon that breathes fire. Its high level of antioxidants is a big reason why you are less likely to get cancer and diabetes. Make a point of eating this superfruit every day.
Different types of dragon fruit:
Dragon fruit comes in different kinds. The three most important ones are:
- The pitaya blanca (Hylocereus undatus) has pink or red skin, white flesh, and black seeds.
- The pitaya roja, or Hylocereus polyrhizus, has pink or red skin, red flesh, and black seeds.
- The pitaya amarilla (Hylocereus guatemalensis) has yellow skin, white flesh, and black seeds.
How to eat dragon fruit?
You must be wondering how to eat this fruit, no matter what it looks like or how big or small it is. It's easy. You can cut it in half and use a spoon to eat the inside. You can also use it to make a smoothie.
How does dragon fruit taste?
The taste of dragon fruit is a mix of kiwi and pear. The first time you cut this fruit open, the white pulp and tiny black seeds might make it look like an Oreo smoothie. This tropical fruit is great for your health in many ways. Here are some reasons why you should eat this fruit every day.
Nutritional value of dragon fruit:
- The carbs and fibre in dragon fruit are good for you. Instead of processed sugar, it's better to eat the sugars that come from fruits.
- The fibre in dragon fruit is important for keeping the good bacteria in the digestive tract alive and well. The high fibre content also treats constipation.
- Dragon fruit has a high glycemic index, but it is also full of nutrients, which makes it a healthy snack.
- Dragon fruit has more than the daily recommended amount of vitamin C because it has so much of it. Vitamin C is an important nutrient and antioxidant that helps the body do many things and is good for your health in many ways.
Health benefits of dragon fruit:
- Excellent to munch
The amount of cholesterol in dragon fruit is safe, which makes it a great snack food to munch on. Not only that, but it also has a lot of fibre, so you can snack on it without feeling bad about it.
Fiber-rich foods make you feel full because fibres take longer for our bodies to break down. They stay in your stomach longer and keep you feeling fuller for longer. So, dragon fruit makes you feel full for a long time and gives your body healthy nutrients.
- Packed with antioxidants
The antioxidants betacyanins and betaxanthins are found in large amounts in dragon fruit. Not only does the pulp have antioxidants, but so does the skin.
Free radicals are things that cause damage to cells. Antioxidants are able to cancel out the effects of free radicals. Once free radicals are neutralised, they can't hurt the body.
Taking antioxidants every day is good for the body in many ways, such as lowering the risk of cancer and heart disease. It is one of the best ways to stay healthy over the long term.
- Helpful for keeping blood sugar levels in check
People with diabetes need to pay close attention to what they eat. Everything they eat has a direct effect on their bodies. So, they need to watch what they eat.
A meta-analysis found that people with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes who ate dragon fruit had better control over their blood glucose levels. Dragon fruit may cause the pancreatic cells that make insulin to grow, so it keeps blood sugar levels from getting too high. Insulin is the chemical in the body that controls how much sugar is in the blood so that the body can work best.
- A good source of vitamins and minerals
Dragon fruit is full of healthy things. It is a good source of both carbs and minerals and vitamins that your body needs. It has a good amount of magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and zinc, which are all minerals. Small amounts of calcium and copper are also in it.
It lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke because it has a lot of magnesium. Also, since magnesium is needed by the body for many functions, it helps the body do everyday tasks more efficiently.
Vitamin-wise, it has a lot of vitamin A and vitamin C. There are also small amounts of other vitamins. This fruit is not only tasty, but it is also good for you.
- A Good Source of Iron
The fact that dragon fruit is high in iron and also has a lot of vitamin C makes it a great fruit to eat when you don't have enough iron. It has been shown to work to raise the number of red blood cells and haemoglobin in the body. Hemoglobin is a part of the blood that moves oxygen from one place in the body to another. With more oxygen, all the parts of the body can work better and stay healthy.
FAQ on dragon fruit:
- What is dragon fruit peel used for?
- The red dragon fruit peel is great for lowering cholesterol, improving eye health, slowing the ageing process, boosting mood, and so on.
- When should you eat dragon fruit?
- Dragon fruit can be eaten at any time of day. But eating dragon fruit in the morning would give you all the nutrients you need to keep your body running.
Q: Can I eat dragon fruit every day?
- Yes, dragon fruit is very healthy and can be eaten every day in small amounts.
Q: How many dragon fruits can I eat every day?
- Every day you can eat one dragon fruit.
Q: Is dragon fruit a Superfood?
- Yes, dragon fruit is a superfood because it has a lot of fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is also low in calories and has healthy acids and probiotics in it.
- Does dragon fruit make you sleepy?
- Yes, dragon fruit can help you sleep better because it is a natural sleep aid. Low magnesium levels are often linked to not being able to sleep, so this fruit can help with the problem.
- What if the inside of a dragon fruit is red?
- The red-flesh dragon fruit is a type of the white-flesh dragon fruit, which is the most common type. Some say that the red dragon fruit tastes better and is sweeter than the white one. It also has more antioxidants than most other foods.
- Is dragon fruit poisonous?
- No dragon fruit isn't really poisonous. But dragon fruit may make some people sick if they are allergic to it. If it's your first time eating it, watch out for allergic reactions like a swollen tongue, hives, or throwing up.