Indian food is made with many spices that are full of important nutrients. Some of these spices are used every day in cooking, especially to make vegetable curries, dal, and other dishes. One of these is a healthy mix of five spices that is used in many homes to improve the taste and nutritional value of food.
Panch Phoron, which is also known as panch phoran or paanch phoron, means "five spices" in Thai. It is a mixture of seeds that is often used in Eastern India and Bangladesh. The seeds in it are cumin, brown mustard, fenugreek, nigella, and fennel. The spices are left whole and, depending on how they will be used, are either dry-roasted or fried in oil to bring out their strong flavours.
About Panch Phoron:
In Bengali, the word "panch" means "five," and the word "phoron" means "to season." So, the five spices that smell good are fried in oil until they pop or crackle.
Basically, this means letting the spices bloom in hot oil or ghee (clarified butter). This method of letting spices bloom in oil is also called tadka, chaunk, or vaghar in Hindi. When these spices are fried, their essential oils, smells, and flavours are released into the oil. When you add the panch phoron spice blend to a dish, it gives it a boost and takes it to a whole new level.
Difference between garam masala and panch phoron:
In garam masala, the spices are ground into a powder. In panch phoran, the spices are kept whole. Garam Masala, on the other hand, uses different spices than panch phoron.
Spices used to make panch phoron:
Most panch phoron recipes use the same spices or ingredients as the 5 spice blend. It's a mix of five spices, as the name suggests. These are:
- fenugreek seeds,
- fennel seeds,
- mustard seeds,
- cumin seeds, and
- nigella seeds.
How to use panch phoron while cooking?
Panch phoran is easy, simple, and can be used in many different ways. If you are new to cooking and don't know how to give your stir-fries, stews, roasts, or curries a little more flavour, this is a versatile spice that can be used in many different ways.
Here are some ideas for dishes you can make with panch phoron:
- The most traditional way to use Indian five spice is to fry it in warm oil or ghee for a few seconds until it pops and flavours the oil, then add other vegetables or ingredients to it.
- When coarsely ground, panch phoron can be used as a marinade or rub for meats and chunky root vegetables that will be roasted.
- To chutneys, sauces, and dips, add a teaspoon.
- Add it to breads like naans, pizza dough, or even bagels as a topping.
- Add it to pickled gherkins, onions, and tomatoes as a pickling spice.
- You can lightly roast and crush them to add flavour to salads and soups.
- Simple stir-fried vegetables taste great with this spice.
Health benefits of the spices used in the panch phoran:
Fenugreek: It is a natural way to make more breast milk. If a mother wants to make more breast milk, she should add fenugreek or methi to her diet. The seeds of fenugreek can also clean the body. It also works well to keep blood sugar levels in check and helps hair grow.
Nigella seeds: The black onion seeds or nigella seeds are often used in Ayurvedic medicine to heal. The tiny seeds, which are also called kalonji, are fried in hot oil to make an oil that is used to treat cold and cough symptoms, headaches, asthma, and hair loss. It can also help with jaundice and diarrhoea.
Fennel: Fennel seed or saunf improves immunity. If you have pain during your period, try eating fennel seeds with water. It is also used to treat bloating, constipation, and upset stomach. Not only does it help the digestive system, but it also makes people hungrier.
Black mustard: This tiny black mustard seed is full of nutrients like iron, calcium, zinc, manganese, and dietary fibre. It can also lessen the symptoms of asthma to a certain degree. Black mustard also makes getting old take longer. It is also good for rheumatoid muscle pain and pain from arthritis.
Cumin seeds: It is known that cumin seeds help the digestive system. It helps the pancreas make the right amount of enzymes, which in turn helps the digestive process. In recent years, jeera, also known as cumin, has also been used in plans to lose weight.
Overall health benefits of panch phoron:
Panch phoron is a mix of five healthy spices, so it goes without saying that it is full of nutrients and very healthy.
Some of the health benefits that are known are:
- May keep blood sugar under control. Fenugreek helps keep the body clean and is good for people with diabetes because it keeps blood sugar levels steady.
- Helps with Digestion: Both cumin and fennel seeds help the pancreas release enzymes that are good for digestion.
- Helps with pain and skin problems. Nigella seeds have a lot of healing properties and are used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat pain and keep skin and hair healthy.
- Spices like mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds are known to have nutrients, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber-rich nutrients that may help people lose weight or keep their weight at a healthy level.
Panch phoran masala is a spice that is very important in Bengali cooking. It is used in many dishes to add flavour.
Panch Phoran or Panch Phoron is a traditional spice mix that is often used in Eastern Indian and Bangladeshi cooking. It is made with 5 whole spices. It is easy to use because it has a mild flavour that goes with many things. With a little creativity, it can be used to flavour food in many different ways. It's not just used in savoury foods like curries, stir fries, and fried foods. It's also used in condiments, flatbreads, and drinks. You only have to use this traditional Indian spice mix once to realise how magical the flavours are.