South Indian Lentil Soup
Preparation time 20 Minutes
Cooking time 10 Minutes
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves - 7
Coriander roots - 1 bunch
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Potato - 1
Tomato - 1
Green cardamom - 3-4
Green chilli - 1
Masoor dal - 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1
Ginger - 1 knot
1) In a Meyer Select sauce pan, heat a spoonful of oil and fry off half the garlic cloves along with ginger juliennes.
2) Add in the sliced onion and saute till the onions are soft and translucent.
3) Add in the washed lentils and lightly roast them off.
4) Flavour the lentils with the chopped green chillies, cardamom and sliced tomato.
5) Cover the lentils with enough water to cook them and also chuck in the potato that is peeled and cubed.
6) Season the water with salt along with turmeric to give it a vibrant yellow colour.
7) Fully cook the lentils and blend the entire mixture into a smooth puree.
8) Bring the blended soup back to the heat and add a bit of water to correct the consistency.
9) For a nice aromatic punch, place a bunch of coriander roots in the soup and let it simmer for 20 mins.
10) Meanwhile, in a Meyer Select fry pan, make the tempering by starting off the ghee and heating it.
11) Chuck in a few garlic cloves, mustard seeds and curry leaves along with red chilli powder and desiccated coconut to get a robust tempering.
12) Spoon the soup in a bowl and garnish it with the spicy tempering and freshly chopped coriander.