How to make Amritsari Fish and Chips ?
1) Start by cracking 1 egg in a bowl, add the flours with the ginger & garlic paste and whisk them together into a batter.
2) To the batter, add all the dry spices, with some lemon juice and end it with some fried fenugreek leaves. Mix them all together and add a little water to thin out the batter.
3) Cure the fish fillets with a little cornflour, salt and lemon and rub them together.
4) Add the fish into the batter, coat it completely and set it aside.
5) Chop the potatoes into fries and coat them with some cornstarch and red chilli powder.
6) Heat oil for frying in a stainless steel kadai. Fry your marinated fish fillets until dark brown, crispy and fully cooked.
7) Once the fish is done, fry the potatoes in the same oil and put them together with the fish in a basket. Sprinkle some chaat masala on top of the fish and eat it hot.
1) The thinner the batter the crispier it would be.
2) The fish should be cured just when it's about to be fried, or it might dry out.
3) Chaat masala is an optional addition, you can also garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.