Cream of Mushroom Soup
- What is cream of Mushroom Soup?
- Quick and Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup
- How to make Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- Expert Tips
- Recipe Card
What is Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Cream of mushroom is a Basic Soup, prepared by thinning out a butter and flour mixture with milk and cooking the mushrooms in that milk with some seasoning. In the USA, this soup was created as a thickener and is used as a base for many casseroles and cream chicken gravies.
More Mushroom Recipes
Quick and Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup
This recipe teaches you not just how to make a simple mushroom soup, but it provides you with a base recipe to make all the different kinds of restaurant-style soups, with the thick and creamy texture. It's a must try if you're a soup lover.
Suggested cookware for the recipe
How to make Cream of Mushroom Soup?
1) Add butter and oil to a pan over medium low heat and let it melt. Over that add chopped onion and minced garlic. Sweat this mixture for 3-4 minutes till the onions become soft and translucent.
- If there is some browning on the onions, the soup would not have the classic cream shade.
- Make sure to remove the scum of the top layer, it contains the impurities.
- You can also garnish your soup with some pan tossed mushroom slices.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
A hot and smooth cream of mushroom soup that blasts your mouth with rich mushroomy flavour with every spoonful.
Butter : 1 cube
Olive Oil : 10 ml
Onion (chopped) : 1
Garlic (chopped) : 1 tbsp
Mushroom : 200g
Salt : to taste
Water: 1 ltr
Sugar : 2 tsp
Black Pepper : to taste
Fresh Cream : ½ cup
Add butter and oil to a pan over medium low heat and let it melt. Over that add chopped onion and minced garlic. Sweat this mixture for 3-4 minutes till the onions become soft and translucent.
To the buttered onions and garlic, add roughly diced mushrooms and toss them with the butter till the moisture dries up. Season the dish with salt to help release the moisture.
Add some water to the mushrooms and blend it up till a smooth paste forms. This is going to be the base for our mushroom soup.
Put the mushroom paste in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 litre of water to the paste and whisk it together to emulsify
Let the soup cook and reduce. Add some sugar to the soup and let it sit, till a layer of scum develops on the top surface of the soup. Once it forms, scoop it out with a large spoon.
Add some black pepper to taste and put in the heavy cream. Stir the mixture, to incorporate everything completely. Serve it hot in a bowl, topped with some cream and butter chunks.
Leave a comment