Dabeli Masala is a mix of spices that is used to make Kutchi Dabeli, a popular Gujarati snack. This masala mix takes the Dabeli to the next level. It is made with simple ingredients. Dabeli Masala, also called Kutchi Masala, is a sweet and spicy mix of fragrant spices that gives the popular Gujarati street food Dabeli a wonderful flavour.
Why should you make Dabeli Masala at home?
- It takes less than 10 minutes to make and only needs a few easy-to-find items.
- It is made with the best ingredients, so it tastes much better than what you can buy at the store.
- Making things at home is much cheaper.
- It doesn't have any added preservatives, colours, or anything else made in a lab.
- You can use it to make Dabeli, as well as pulao, pav bhaji, vada pav, chat, mixed vegetables, stir-fries, and many other dishes.
Ingredients used to prepare Dabeli Masala at home:
Whole Spices: To make this masala recipe, you will need a variety of whole spices that are roasted until they smell good and then ground into a powder.
Whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, white sesame seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise, dry red chilies, and bay leaves are among these spices.
Dry coconut is a must-have ingredient that gives the dish a coarse texture and a taste of coconut.
Spice Powders: You'll need some basic spice powders like black salt (kala namak), dry mango powder (amchoor), dry ginger powder (saunth), and Kashmiri red chilli powder.
Sugar—Powdered sugar cuts the heat. Don't use confectioner's sugar, which is also sometimes called powdered sugar. It has cornstarch added, which could change how this masala tastes. Use a grinder to turn regular sugar into powder.
- Roast in the dry heat 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds, 3 to 4 cloves, 4 to 5 whole black peppercorns, a 1-inch piece of cinnamon stick, 1 whole star anise, and 2 bay leaves on medium heat until lightly browned (3-4 minutes).
- Stir the food often while it's roasting. Add 2-3 whole, stemless dry red chilies and 1/4 cup of grated dry coconut to the pan. Roast for another minute.
- Take the pan off the heat, and let the mixture cool all the way down.
- Add 2 teaspoons of black salt, 2 teaspoons of dry mango powder, 1/2 teaspoon of dry ginger powder, and 2 tablespoons of Kashmiri red chilli powder to a grinder.
- Make a fine powder by grinding.
- Put the powder in a medium bowl for mixing.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in the bowl.
- Put this masala in a container that won't let air in. Keep it in the fridge for up to a month.
Health benefits of Dabeli Masala
- Boosts Digestion
Dabeli Masala releases more gastric juices and keeps indigestion at bay, and also helps stop acidity.
- Boosts Metabolism
The ingredients of Dabeli Masala are full of phytonutrients, which help to speed up the metabolism. These ingredients are also full of minerals, which help the body's different organs work better.
- Antioxidants abound
Dabeli Masala is full of antioxidants, which help fight inflammation and prevent skin problems.
- Helps with gas and bloating
Dabeli Masala has properties that help with digestion and that it also helps with bloating, flatulence, and even nausea. The spices in the spice mix also help keep the digestive system in good shape.